Due to a special event, on Wednesday, July 8, there will be no tours of the U.S. Capitol after 11 a.m. Emancipation Hall and Exhibition Hall in the Capitol Visitor Center will be unavailable all day. While reservations prior to 11 a.m. will be honored, same-day passes will not be available. The Capitol Visitor Center will close at noon except for individuals on official business and those going to the House and Senate Galleries.

The Supreme Court Building

The Constitution created three branches of government. Two branches, Congress and the presidency, had their own homes. For 134 years, the Supreme Court shared the Capitol. It met first in a committee room, later in the library, and, from 1810 to 1860, in a first-floor chamber designed by B. Henry Latrobe. In 1860, the Court moved to the Senate’s former second-floor chamber.

In 1926, Chief Justice William Howard Taft asked architect Cass Gilbert to plan a courthouse. The site selected faced the Capitol on First Street, Northeast. Its proximity to Union Station—convenient for out-of-town lawyers—was an important consideration. Congress appropriated just under $10 million and created a commission in 1929 to oversee construction, which began in 1930. The building opened five years later.

History of Congress and the Capitol

The Capitol 1913-1945

Next Image Next Image Previous Image Previous Image
Supreme Court Chamber, ca. 1930
Image Caption

Supreme Court Chamber, ca. 1930

From 1860 until 1935, the Supreme Court held its sessions in the Capitol in the former Senate Chamber.

Prints and Photographs Division, Library of Congress

Supreme Court Chamber, ca. 1930

From 1860 until 1935, the Supreme Court held its sessions in the Capitol in the former Senate Chamber.

Prints and Photographs Division, Library of Congress

Pages