U.S. Capitol Visitor Center

Welcome to the U.S. Capitol

Power to the Plains

To bring electricity to America’s farmlands, President Franklin D. Roosevelt created the Rural Electrification Administration (REA) by executive order in 1935. Nebraska Senator George W. Norris and Representative Sam Rayburn of Texas sponsored its congressional authorization in 1936. The REA provided low-interest loans to farmers’ cooperatives to electrify areas not served by utility companies, thereby extending modern conveniences to the nation’s rural population and increasing the efficiency of its farms. Active until 1994, the REA was one of the greatest achievements of the New Deal era.

1 Image “Light,” Rural Electrification Administration, n.d. View All Images
1 Image Letter from Oliver V. Borden of Auburn, Nebraska to REA of Syracuse,... View All Images
1 Image “Mrs. Wiegel uses electric vacuum cleaner,” by Arthur Rothstein,... View All Images
1 Image Senator George W. Norris at Norris Dam, 1942 View All Images