Each wing of the Capitol extension was fronted by a grand Corinthian portico reachable by a broad flight of marble stairs. The portico’s general outline was derived from the Capitol’s central portico designed by Benjamin Henry Latrobe, but Walter’s original version deviated slightly by having no pediments (the triangular feature atop the central columns). In 1853 the War Department took over supervision of the extension project. Captain Montgomery Meigs, the engineer-in-charge, asked Walter to add pediments to accommodate allegorical statuary.
Architect of the Capitol