“Transverse Section, South Wing,” (looking East), by Thomas U. Walter, watercolor and ink on paper, 1857

Fri, 2013-04-19 15:17 -- administrator

This drawing illustrates the location of the House Chamber in the center of the south wing, which was a change from its original position at the western end. The change was ordered by Captain Montgomery C. Meigs soon after he took over as supervising engineer in 1853. Despite its relocation, the architect, Thomas U. Walter, was able to preserve the original design with its cast-iron ceiling and skylight.

Architect of the Capitol

Time Period: 
Image: 

Share This Page