This view of the Capitol was drawn around the time the federal government moved from Philadelphia to the new City of Washington. After seven years of construction, only the north wing had been completed; it initially accommodated the Senate as well as the House of Representatives and the Library of Congress. In 1801 the Supreme Court also moved into the building. Despite a lull in construction, the artist showed masons cutting and carving stones in the foreground.
Prints and Photographs Division, Library of Congress