Design proposed for the Hall of Representatives U.S., Section from North to South, by B. Henry Latrobe, 1815
Latrobe, Surveyor of Public Building from 1803-1811 and architect at the Capitol from 1815 to 1817, created this design for a new House chamber after the Capitol was burned in 1814. He considered a semicircular chamber covered by a half dome to be the best space for speaking, hearing, and seeing. He cited the School of Surgery in Paris and the University of Pennsylvania’s Anatomy Hall as two examples of successful uses of this design. The restored chamber, used by the House from 1819 to 1857, is now National Statuary Hall.
Architect of the Capitol